Google’s Android is all about the flexibility and customizability of its User Interface. Earlier most of the options to customize the looks and feel of your android worked only with rooted methods until later OS builds which supported customization without rooting were introduced.
Various companies manufacturing their own tailored Android UI took on this idea, providing more and more features with every update. This time Xiaomi has provided a way to change Boot Animation in MIUI 12, something which almost always required a root in the past and was certainly not a user-friendly method. Here we’ll take a look at what it is and how to apply it.
What is Boot Animation in MIUI 12 and Why do I need to change it?
Boot animations are the animations that appear on the screen every time the phone is powered on. For most of the latest Xiaomi Devices, it is the basic MIUI logo animation. With the introduction of MIUI version 12, Xiaomi provided some major changes to the looks of the system, enabling customization features for a wide variety of settings, one of them which happen to be the Boot Animation customization.
It is not required to change the boot animation if you do not find the need for a new animation when your phone powers on. Most people would prefer the regular animation to avoid possible issues with the stability of the phone. However, for those who do understand how safe it is and want to know how to make it happen, we have got a nice detailed guide for you right here.
How to Change Boot Animation in MIUI 12
Introducing the method of changing boot animations through Xiaomi’s themes store might be easy but it should be kept in mind that being a new feature, there aren’t a lot of options available for the same.
Since Xiaomi has not incorporated a method to filter and browse Themes that do support Boot Animation, it might take a while to search and find the right Themes fit for use. The next section discusses the steps required to change the animations in details.
- Step 1: Navigate to your app drawer and open the Themes app. You would be able to find it as a colorful icon with a paintbrush portrayed in the middle as a default icon.
- Step 2: Once inside, browse to your favorite theme which supports boot animation customization, or head to the search bar on the top to find a known one. One of the popular themes for this purpose is ‘ProGoogle Dual 2.0’.
- Step 3: Click on the theme and open it, then click on Download. It should finish downloading within a few seconds, to a minute or two, depending on your internet connection.
- Step 4: once downloaded, you do not need to apply it, so either go back using the back button or untick all the options and click on apply. Now you have to head over to the My Page section, and click on Customize Theme option.
- Step 5: Once inside you will notice a lot of options to customize different features of the phone. Consider backing up your current data, which happens to be at the bottom of the screen, in case you want to revert to the same settings without much effort later on. Afterwards proceed to Boot Animation.
- Step 6: If you have downloaded the right theme you should now see different animation options to choose from, as supported by each theme. Select one of the animations you would like to apply and click on the Apply button.
The phone should now process and fix the chosen animation as your Boot Animation.
Note: A few Reddit sources have mentioned soft bricking of phones due to the new Boot Animation when the phone is powered on next time. This is might be probable with the older Xiaomi devices which support MIUI 12.
Additional Boot settings
If you’re going to change your animation you might be looking for ways to change your Boot Audio too. Fortunately, Xiaomi has also included the option to customize Boot Audio right next to the animations. The Audio does not need to use themes however, providing system ringtones and the option to add your songs and recordings as Boot Audio.
Xiaomi’s Theme Developer Website
The process we discussed above was solely to apply animations provided with the theme you downloaded. If you have made your own animation and are planning to use it for the Boot Animation, you’ll need to apply for Theme Developer in Xiaomi’s Theme Developer Website, which might be a bit tricky considering not everyone is given a green signal.
Once you do get selected, however, you can spend some time learning how to make Themes and make a good theme with Boot Animation for yourself. You can also publish your Themes on the Themes app!
‘Boot Animations for Superuser’ App
This method requires unlocking the bootloader and rooting your phone. If you do not want to root your phone, you should skip this method. Xiaomi’s bootloader unlocking methods are very tedious. They require a developer account and so on, even for downloading stock MIUI ROMs.
However, with the phone rooted you could use Boot Animations for the Superuser app. It has a wide variety of boot animations. They can be downloaded and applied directly, some of which happen to be paid. The process after downloading the app should be pretty straightforward without much issue, but taking a backup of your MIUI loaded Android System before doing applying new changes is a good habit.
[su_button url=”https://t.me/getdroidroms” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#0064c9″ size=”7″]Join us on telegram[/su_button]