In this guide, we will show you the steps to root your Motorola Moto G100/Edge S via Magisk Patched Boot.img file. Both these mid-budget devices from Motorola have managed to garner a fair share of attention. With a Snapdragon 870 5G chipset, up to 12GB of RAM, and a 5000mAh battery, it seems to tick most of the requirements asked of a device belonging to this domain.
If we then turn our attention to custom development, it seems to have some promising prospects. As soon as you unlock the device’s bootloader, you’ll be in a position to welcome a plethora of modules, including the likes of Magisk Modules and the Xposed Framework. But before you can try any of these tweaks, you need to root your Motorola Moto G100/Edge S via Magisk. And in this guide, we’ll show you how to do just that. Follow along.
Advantage and Disadvantage of Rooting
Once you have rooted your device by flashing Magisk patched boot.img via Fastboot commands, you will be in a position to try out many customizations on your device. These include flashing custom ROMs, installing a custom recovery like TWRP, or flashing a custom kernel. Along the same lines, you can also flash Magisk Modules, Xposed Framework, Substratum Themes, Viper4Android and the likes. However, this is only one side of the story.
There are also downsides to performing this process. First, the process requires an unlocked bootloader. Doing so will erase all data and may void the device’s warranty. Likewise, WideVine L1 will be downgraded to L3, resulting in the inability to stream Netflix in HD [FIXED]. Then SafetyNet will be triggered [FIXED], which can cause problems in banking apps [FIXED]. So if that’s all well and good, let’s start with the steps to root Moto G100/Edge S via Magisk.
How to Root Motorola Moto G100/Edge S via Magisk
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Motorola Moto G100/Edge S
STEP 4: Get Motorola Moto G100/Edge S Stock Boot.img
STEP 5: Patch Motorola Moto G100/Edge S Stock Boot via Magisk
- First off, install the Magisk App on your device.
- Then tap on the Install button situated next to Magisk.
- From the Method section, choose Select and Patch a file.
- Browse to the extracted boot.img file and select it.
- Then tap on the Let’s Go option situated at the top right.
- Magisk will now load the boot.img file and will patch it accordingly.
- Once that is done, you would get the Download Complete message.
- The patched boot image file will be saved in Internal Storage > Downloads. Rename it to magisk_patched_boot.img.
STEP 7: Boot Motorola Moto G100/Edge S to Fastboot Mode
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
After that, type in the following command in the CMD window to boot your device to Fastboot Mode
adb reboot bootloader
To verify the Fastboot connection, type in the below command and you should get back the device ID.
STEP 8: Root Motorola Moto G100/Edge S via Magisk
- To begin with, transfer the magisk_patched_boot.img file to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder address bar, type in CMD, and hit Enter.
- This will launch Command Prompt. Execute the below command to flash the Magisk Patched Boot file
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot.img
- Finally, execute the below command to boot your device to the OS
that’s it. These were the steps to root Motorola Moto G100/Edge S via Magisk. If you have any queries regarding the above steps, let us know in the comments. We will contact you with a solution as soon as possible.