These phones are Poco F4 and Poco X4 GT. Both the F series and X series are very popular in the budget segment. If you have a Poco F4, we’re going to share a guide to the new Poco F4 here. Here you will learn how to root Poco F4 and open the Poco F4 bootloader.
The Poco F4 is the successor to the Poco F3, which was released last year. The new Poco F4 comes with a new design and new hardware. Before we go into the guide, let’s take a quick look at the details. The Poco F4 has a 6.67-inch FHD + display that supports 120Hz refresh rate. The phone comes with Snapdragon 870 5G processor. It comes in 128GB / 256GB storage options with various RAM options of 6GB / 8GB / 12GB.
The camera setup on the phone includes 64MP + 8MP + 2MP rear camera setup. And on the front, it has a 20MP camera. The phone runs on MIUI Custom OS, which is quite good in terms of customization. But you can root the Poco F4 to get to the next level of customization and increase performance. Here in this route guide, we will also explain how to unlock the Poco F4 bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Poco F4
Like other Android phones, Poco phones come with a locked boot loader. This prevents users from editing the root level settings. This includes rooting or installing custom ROMs. So to root Poco F4, we first need to unlock the Poco F4 bootloader. Fortunately, Xiaomi phones follow a process to unlock the bootloader that is not easy but possible. Follow the steps below to unlock the Poco F4 bootloader.
After unlocking the bootloader, check the status in Developer Options. This time OEM unlocking will already be enabled. And after verifying, check the terms that will be required to root the device.
- First take a full backup of your phone as this will delete all the data from your phone.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Open Settings on your Poco F4 and login with your Mi Account and wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more than 7 days, you can skip this step. Or you can even try without waiting.
- Now go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Sync all App data at least once.
- Go back to Settings and then head to About Phone. Tap on the MIUI version until it displays ‘You are now a developer’ or you are already a developer.
- To access developer mode go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account. This is not necessary but recommended.
- Then, go to Mi Unlock Status (in developer options) and link your Mi Account.
- Now boot your Poco F4 into Fastboot mode. To do this, turn off your phone and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together. Release both buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up.
- Connect your PC to an active Internet connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco F4.
- The tool will detect your phone and after that click on the ‘Unlock Now‘ button.
- It will now start unlocking the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco F4. This will erase all the data.
How to Root Poco F4 with Magisk
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Poco F4
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Download Magisk APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC (You can also use Platform tools)
- Download Poco F4 firmware (the same version which is installed)
- Install the Magisk apk on your Poco F4.
- Extract the boot.img file from the Poco F4 Firmware on your PC and copy the boot.img to your phone storage. Remember the location.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install button.
- In the next screen, choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Now browse for the boot.img file and select it. It will start patching the file.
- Once the patching is done, you will find the patched file in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb (or Platform tools folder). And rename the file to boot.img.
- Turn off your Xiaomi Poco F4 and boot into Fastboot mode (use the shortcut given in unlock bootloader steps). Connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to the C:\adb folder (or Platform tools) and change the address to CMD and press enter to open Command Window.
- Enter the below commands on your Command/PowerShell window to check if it is connected, it should return device id.
- After confirming, enter the below command to root Poco F4.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot file, Reboot your phone into the system.
- That’s all, now your Poco F4 is successfully rooted.
Now that your Poco F4 is rooted, you can verify it using any third party root checker app. In addition, you can start using features and apps that require root privileges. For easy and modern customization, you can use all Xposed Modules on your phone. For this you will need an Xposed Framework.
So there is a complete guide on how to root Poco F4 as well as a guide on how to unlock the bootloader on Poco F4. Let us know in the comments section if you have any questions.