Google has just released the first developer preview of Android 13. Android 12 was one of the biggest updates in the history of the Android update. And Android 13 has most of the visual features of Android 12 but with improvements here and there. If you want to test Android 13 First DP then this guide is for you. Here you will find out how to install Android 13 Developer Preview 1.
Google has just started testing Android 13 so we have a long way to go to get all the features that come with Android 13. Since the first developer preview of Android 13 is available, anyone who wants to test can install Android 13 DP. Their eligible Pixel phones.
Before jumping into the installation steps, here are some key points to keep in mind. This is a developer preview which is the first build-in testing and therefore may include large ones, so make sure you install it on a secondary device or if you do not mind the bugs. Install it on the primary. Also, make a full backup of your phone before installing Android 13 DP1.
How to Install Android 13 Developer Preview
There are multiple ways to install the Android 13 Developer Preview. You can use Factory Image, OTA image, or even the Google flash tool to install Android 13. Here in this guide, we will share all three ways to install Android 13 on Pixel Phones. If you have a non-pixel phone then you can use Android 13 GSI once it’s available. Let’s now jump into the installation methods.
- Make sure to take a full backup of your phone
- Charge your phone to atleast 50%
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers or download Android SDK Platform Tools folder
How to Install Android 13 DP using Android Flash Tool
This method requires an unlocked bootloader device, so make sure to first unlock the bootloader of your Google Pixel phone. And then proceed with the following steps.
- Open Settings on your Google Pixel phone and go to About Phone. Tap seven times on Build Number to enable developer options.
- Go back to main Settings and open Developer Options. And enable USB Debugging to use ADB.
- Connect your Pixel with your PC directly using an original USB cable.
- Open the Android Flash Tool page using this link. It will ask for ADB permission on your browser, allowing it to use ADB.
- On the webpage click on Add New Device, then select the device model and click on Connect.
- Also allow debugging on your phone, when a pop-up appears.
- Now select your connected device on the browser.
- Choose the Developer Preview build from the list. Also, select the option to wipe data for clean flash.
- Click on the Install button and just wait for the process to complete.
- Once the flash completes, disconnect your phone and enjoy the latest Android 13 Developer Preview.
How to Install Android 13 DP using Full OTA Image
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC or you can also use the Android SDK Platform tools folder.
- Download the Android 13 Developer Preview OTA Image for your device from here. If the file name is big then rename the file (eg. Update.zip) for an easy process.
- Now enable USB Debugging on your Pixel phone. Check out the first method to know how to enable it.
- Connect your Pixel phone to your PC. You will receive a prompt on your phone, click on Allow to grant debugging authorization. If you don’t receive the prompt enter ‘adb devices’ in CMD and it should show the connected device id.
- Once your Pixel phone is connected to the computer enter the command below to boot the pixel phone into Recovery Mode.
adb reboot recovery
- Once the phone boot into Recovery Mode, select the option ‘Apply Update from ADB’.
- Now run the following command to install the latest Android 13 Developer Preview on your Pixel phone. Make sure to enter the correct file name that you renamed in the first step. Replace Update with the correct file name if it is different in your case.
adb sideload Update.zip
- It will now install the Android 13 DP1 to your Pixel phone. After installing the file select ‘Reboot system now’ to boot into the system.
How to Install Android 13 DP using Factory Image
- We will be using adb and fastboot commands so first install the adb and fastboot drivers or download the Android sdk platform tools folder (in this case open cmd from platform tools folder whenever cmd is required).
- Download the Android 13 DP1 Factory Image for your Pixel phone from here.
- Extract the Factory Image on your computer.
- Now connect your pixel phone to your pc using USB and open cmd (command prompt).
- Enter the below adb command to boot your phone into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone is in fastboot mode, enter the below command to unlock bootloader (It will wipe all the data from your phone).
fastboot flashing unlock
- Navigate to the directory where extracted fastboot image is available. It will include flash-all bat and sh file.
- In case of Windows run the .bat file and in case of Mac run the .sh file.
- It will install the Android 13 Developer Preview on your phone. Your phone will reboot into the system.
- You can now relock the bootloader if you want using the below command. Boot your phone to fastboot mode before using the given command.
Fastboot flashing lock
That’s it, now you can enjoy the Android 13 Developer Preview 1 on your Pixel phone.
Installing through the Android flash tool is the easiest of the three methods mentioned. You only need to make sure that the bootloader is unlocked. You can also use OTA Image and Factory Image to get the first Android 13 Developer Preview. Let us know which method you find the best.
Featured image credits: XDA
[su_button url=”https://t.me/getdroidroms” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#0064c9″ size=”7″]Join us on telegram[/su_button]