The devices of the Silicon Valley giants see some special features under the hood. These include many camera modules, live translation, adaptive sound, adaptive connectivity, and the ever-popular Now Playing choice.
As far as the latter is concerned, it shows the artist and the name of the song that is currently playing on your lock screen. Also, it keeps track of all these songs in its history section so you should catch it if you need to. This functionality has existed since Pixel 2 and has always been one of the most requested features in custom development.
Because of this, many developers have developed Xposed Framework and Magisk Modules for this, but as you may have guessed, it requires a root. However, XD Recognized Developer Quinny899 has now created a port for Pixel’s Now Playing feature that you can also install and use on non-rooted Android devices. Let’s see how this can be done.
There’s only one condition – your device needs to be running Android 12 or higher. If not, you will need to root your device and then proceed with the instructions below.
- To begin with, install the Shizuku app for managing ADB Commands.
- Next up, download and install the Ambient Music Mod from GitHub.
- Then launch it and tap on Get Started. Shizuku will now ask for permission, tap on Allow.
- Now proceed with the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
- Once done, tap on Start Install. It will now install the Playing Now mod.
- Come back to the app and grant it the rest of the permissions that it asks for.
- You will also be instructed to disable battery optimization for this app.
- Once everything is done, you will be greeted with the Setup Complete message.
that’s it. Here are the steps to get Pixel’s Now Playing feature on your rooted Android device. But before you try it, let’s fix this app first [optional].
- So launch Ambient Music Mod and go to the Lock Screen section.
- Then enable the toggle next to Show on Lock Screen. You will be taken to the Accessibility page.
- Enable the toggle next to Use Ambient Music Mod and then tap Allow.
- After that, go to the On-Demand section and enable it as well.
- It will help you in identifying songs that your device might not be able to do.
that’s it. These are two features that need to be enabled for a full user experience. You are free to improve other features of this app and get a more personalized experience. On this note, we conclude this guide on how you can enable the Pixel’s Now Playing feature on your non-rooted Android device. If you have any questions, let us know in the comments section below.